- Applicants must be at least 20 years old when they take the examination and at least 21 years of age by the time of appointment.
- There is no maximum age limit.
- Have not been convicted of a felony crime.
- Have not been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence.
- Have not been convicted of any misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of prohibiting ownership, possession or control of a firearm.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have a U.S. High School Diploma, have passed a G.E.D. or the
- California High School Proficiency Examination, or have an AA or higher degree from an accredited college or university.
- Have a valid driver's license to operate an automobile.
- Have not been restricted from employment with the City and County of San Francisco.
Entry Level Police Officer’s Salary
$103,116 - $147,628*/year
- Paid vacation, leave and sick time
- Excellent Medical Benefits
- Bilingual Pay
- Special Assignment Pay
- Uniform Allowance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Pension - 3% of final compensation per year of service at age 58, with a maximum of 90% benefit based on years of service.
- Optional 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan (SFDCP) to compliment your pension benefits
- Purchasable Service Credit
- Limited Employment during Retirement - Retired members may return to City employment without affecting retirement status, not to exceed 960 hours in any fiscal year
- For more info: https://mysfers.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Plan-Provisions-Police-605-2023.pdf
It takes about 6 months from Application to the Academy.
Learn more about how our High Touch Approach can help you get prepared for the tests.